Your company network is the backbone of your IT infrastructure.
Your network includes physical cabling, network switches, WiFi devices, routers and fibre or wireless links between buildings.
As your business grows and develops, so can the complexity of your network as more and more devices are required to be connected. The developments in technology now also demand connectivity to the network for even more devices. This can be from printers and scanners to CCTV cameras and alarm systems. They all need to send and receive data and because of this, it means more and more critical traffic on your network.
In knowing this, what’s going to happen if something goes wrong? If a fault develops within your network, simply put, your business will stop with it.
Monitoring your network infrastructure is critically important for business continuity and avoiding unnecessary downtime.
Some of the things you should consider when making changes to your network are as follows:
- Cable management and labelling your cables to allow quick troubleshooting.
- When upgrading parts of your infrastructure, one small change can impact the performance and security of the overall network.
- Conscious consideration should be given to ensuring the core network activities and data security is not compromised, when any new equipment is connected.
- Upgrading or changing devices like firewalls or servers should be planned in advance to ensure the change is good for your business. Even though changes to your network may seem minor, they are more important than you may realise.
- If you are using your network for transactions such as credit/debit card transactions you are required to comply with Payment Card Industry’s (PCI) Data Security Standard, this includes the security of your network.
- Networks can be like mazes and the movement of devices or cabling can result in unintended paths being opened or closed as a result.
- Take advantage of centralised management where possible. This can be through cloud management of multiple devices or a centralised management overview of your network.
As complex as your network can be, we can help you keep it simple and ensure it doesn’t get out of control as you scale.
- Audit/refresh of existing infrastructure
- Network infrastructure implementation
- Cabinet consolidation
- Internet connectivity audit and implementation
- Wireless network audit and implementation
- Wireless point to point link
- VPN connectivity implementation
- Managed routing